Saturday, December 27, 2003

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Review. A wonderful, delightful film that powerfully wraps the faithful film adaptation of the finest series of fantasy books ever written. As a fan of the books, I was pleased and surprised to see how many of my favorite items made it into the final works, even though I was disappointed to see one of my favorite portions of the final book 'skipped over'. Peter Jackson has said in interviews that he never liked that portion of the final book, but I still felt that he was trying to provide a 'happy ending' for the Hobbits and, more importantly, the viewers. Overall, he managed to capture the warmth, the action, and the sadness of the books in his wonderfully-directed trilogy. I can only wonder what might make it onto the Extended Edition version of the film, due out next November...
Bottom Line: A beautifully filmed, darkly touching finale to an outstanding series of films.

No comments: